Monday, June 13, 2011

My name is Suzy, and I am an addict

My idea for starting to write this blog was to have somewhere to vent, just a little bit. I am pretty sure that is a driving factor for most people as they enter the world of blogging. As I searched around for inspiration and ideas, I noticed that there are literally an endless amount of blogs floating around in cyber-space. There doesn't seem to be a shortage of people who have opinions on just about any topic that one chooses to read about. Some blogs are funny, some are very personal (a little too much so if you ask me), and some are purely informational. It's funny how something so simple as people publicly venting has become wildly popular. I really like the concept though, because most of the time it is really hard to get anyone to take time out of their busy day to listen to anything you have to say. Call it a blog though, and all of the sudden people are flocking to their laptops and smart phones to see what the latest news is. And the best part is that you have their undivided attention, and they can't interrupt you. What more could you ask for really?

I get a majority of my "news" on Facebook, actually I have to admit, I'm a little bit of an addict (I am sure there will be reahab centers for this is the very near future) and could possibly be considered a borderline stalker. I really don't feel as if my day is complete until I have been on Facebook to peruse the goings on of all the people who have declared themselves my friend (well, I may lose a couple after they read this blog!). As I scroll down the page chuckling and occasionally gasping at what everyone has to say, I will often become distracted  by a friend of a friend and feel the urge to stalk them as well. Most of the time it is because they have done or said something that I take offense to, or really appreciate, so I feel the need to find our more about them. More often than not, if I am preying on someone that I have taken offense to, I regret investigating them further as I become more offended by the minute. I want so badly to point out their shortcomings and guide them toward the obviously truthful position on the matter, which is mine. This will often lead to me getting all wound up and animated. My husband and I will have a lengthy discussion about how right we are and how wrong the offender is. The list of their deficiencies and our virtues grows longer and longer.

While I realized this is a very normal thing to do, it also has made me realize two things. One, I absolutely hate it when people pass judgement me so I should think twice before doing it to others; and two, we are who we are and our likenesses and differences are what makes the world a fascinating place to live. I hope I can teach my daughter to have an open mind and at the same time to stand up for what she believes in. There is definitely a time and place to stand up and fight, but we need to pick our battles wisely. While I may be guilty of it from time to time, Facebook is probably not the appropriate venue to pick a fight with someone. Yet another reason why I think I should blog. Someone, somewhere might care about what I have to say, so I should probably write it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment